Sunday, October 15, 2017

IN Patagonia ON The Stella Australis @ The Glacier Alley!




I had hiked on a glacier in Kamchatka, Eastern Siberia once. There was a volcano underneath it. So it was pretty ok to think about hiking in front of the glacier here in Patagonia. But then again this is Patagonia. The Stella came into the waters that lead to the Pia Glacier at around 1300 hrs. We had a pretty relaxed morning with lunch served at 1230 hrs and the first batch got out on the Zodiacs to make a landing a little after lunch. 
I had my layers on but my hands were not covered. I was about to find the importance of a pair of hand gloves a little later. I had signed up for the demanding hike which at first seemed to be anything but that. The weather then started showing its true colors. The little bit of sunshine became snowflakes by the time we had reached the top. There were other climbers with me who were busy taking pictures of the glacier from the top but I couldn’t get my phone to work, instead, I rested my back on a stone and tried to soak in the surroundings.
The going down was always going to be tougher than the way up but it was still ok. We made the entire hike in less than 1.30 hours and by the time I was back in the Zodiac I realized that I had to take care of my fingers back on board and I had to get a drink.

After Perito Moreno, I had thought I had seen it all. The very well laid out steps and the pathway to see the Perito Moreno is replaced here at Pia with how the Perito would’ve been 100 years ago. I hope the path to the  Pia lookout at the extremes of Southern Patagonia stays with muck, rocks and a good difficulty level.

How else do you feel that you deserve the sight of a Glacier?

The Glacier Alley - Italian Glacier - No idea why the name?!



The Glacial fall is good on this one.. dont remember the name though!

The PIA glacier!

No comments:

Post a Comment