Thursday, October 12, 2017

In Patagonia @ Calafate and Perito Moreno


To the right are the Andes and to the left is the Atlantic. This is how you make an approach to Calafate from Buenos Aires. This also means that the left is going to be boring if you are seated there and the right (west) is where all the action is. The snow-clad Andes make for a lovely photo op from 32,000 ft above MSL. I did not have the view nor did I have the camera, but I had some interesting conversation with a fellow passenger on the 3-hour flight.
At first Calafate and its surroundings seem like any other place I had seen in the Argentinian Patagonia. I say this because on the Chilean side it is greener.
We started the tour with a visit to the ‘Glaciarium’ a museum which needs no introduction I guess. Before that, however, we fed ourselves with empanadas and a rich chocolate cake. Chocolate is certainly up in the list when things to do in the Argentinian Patagonia are spoken of. I, although not a big fan of coco have found myself having it in the form of a cake in the evening a little more than I would think of.
The Perito Moreno Glacier! The only glacier in the world which is not receding. The extent of it as far as the sight goes and the sounds its calving makes everything is beyond words. I am writing this 4 days later so the effect of Calafate has gone down a bit but the Glacier stays and even though it is one of the most visited points in this part of Patagonia, going there in October before the summer crowds arrive helps in finding time alone with it. Back in 2016 when this tour was still in its planning and I had thought October would not be so good cold wise but I am happy it was October.
I am happy I am here and to know that it inspires me to come here again.
The glacier from the lake

The Glacier from the view point 

The North face of the Glacier which often caves in..

No comments:

Post a Comment