Saturday, June 23, 2012

Back to Scandinavia - 66.33 Deg North to 66.33 Deg South and nothing in between !!


Hurtigruten is a Norwegian cruise company which combines leisure cruises with expedition and adventure. On their website www.hurtigruten.com I was checking the expedition cruise to Antarctica this afternoon. These are the exact words that they wrote about the expedition cruise crossing the 66.33 Deg South Latitude which happens to be the Antarctic Circle..
'Roaming as far south as the Antarctic Circle is a privilege only to be enjoyed on this particular voyage. Located at 66˚ 33’ south you will find yourself in an area of sublime beauty. The avid explorers joining us on this adventure will experience an area of Antarctica few others have laid their eyes on'.

For me, at present ,Antarctica is something that I know I will experience. When and how I am not aware of. Maybe with Hurtigruten or any other cruise liner. Maybe in 2013 or later ..
Some journeys stand apart.. No museum ,palace ,theme park or any man made structure can come close to the scenery nature has to offer. The scenery that one sees indeed belongs to a privileged few. Be it under 66.33 south or 66.33 north. Yes I am talking about the Arctic Circle.

The first time I went above the Arctic circle I understood why Norway is considered what it is. I wont say much other than ,it’s a once in a lifetime journey for you to take .. be it for the mid night sun in summer or the northern lights in winter. With the sun or without it ,the view around is maaeeed !
The arctic circle and everything above ,will give u a high ,you can never fully recover from.
I feel privileged to have gone above in both the seasons. In all my travels I’ve never seen anything quiet like Norway above the Arctic circle. I am sure Antarctica would be as spell binding ,but that has to wait as tomorrow once again I will take a flight to where Scandinavia belongs .. The Arctic circle!


No comments:

Post a Comment